MOR GIFT ACCEPTANCE GUIDELINES AND POLICIES
Guidelines and policies have been established as parameters for the solicitation, receipt, acceptance, management, reporting, use and disposition of charitable contributions to the Museum of the Rockies. These guidelines and policies have been put in place to:
- Guarantee that all donors are treated fairly and equitably.
- Avoid misunderstandings concerning the kinds of gifts that can be accepted and credited.
- Ensure that reported totals accurately reflect the real value of every gift.
- Encourage donors to make the largest gifts possible in forms that may be the most convenient for them.
- Assure that no board member, volunteer or staff member is authorized to solicit philanthropic commitments without the prior knowledge of the Gift Acceptance Committee, Director of the Museum and Director of Development to prevent duplicate or uncoordinated presentations and organizational embarrassment.
- Assure that documents about trusts, planned gift instruments or other legal documents with any donor or sponsor are first approved by the Gift Acceptance Committee, which includes the Dean and Director, Director of Development and at least two members of the Board of Trustees, one of whom shall represent the Finance Committee.
- Establish that gifts must be reviewed and approved by the Campaign Steering Committee, which includes the Campaign Co-chairs (at least one of whom must be a current member of the Board of Trustees), the Dean and Director and Director of Development.
- Assure that requests for gifts or grants are made within the ethical museum, university, professional and philanthropic practices, avoiding conflicts of interest in present or future relationships.
- Assure that, wherever appropriate, potential donors are advised to contact their own legal and tax counselors.
- Protect the museum’s non-profit tax-exempt status from possible abuse by donors.
For a copy of MOR's Gift Acceptance Guidelines and Policies, please contact Kathryn Hohmann at email@example.com or 406-994-4973.